The world is moving at a fast pace and with all these technological advancements, people have become nearly robots. Along with the hectic routine and urbanized living, there come several health issues.
In this article today, I’m going to highlight five of the most common physical and mental health ailments. Knowing their symptoms and treatment options would help you steer clear of them. Have a look:
Let’s start with the leading cause of death throughout the world, it’s cardiovascular disease. It’s an umbrella term that is used for all the conditions related to your cardiac system. According to statistics, one person in the US dies every 36 seconds due to cardiovascular disease.
Symptoms of Cardiovascular Disease
- Chest pain and discomfort
- Numbness and shortness of breath
- Coldness or weakness in your arms and legs
- Pain in jaw, abdomen, and neck
- Dizziness and lightheadedness
Treatment of Cardiovascular Disease
- Medications, including anticoagulants, beta-blockers, cholesterol-lowering drugs, and ACE inhibitors
- Cardiac rehabilitation, including regular exercise
- Surgery, including coronary artery bypass and stunt placement
Ranking second is clinical depression also called major depressive disorder. It’s the most common mental health disorder. Not to mention, it’s the leading cause of suicides around the world. Yet, many people fail to take it seriously.
Symptoms of Clinical Depression
- Loss of interest in everyday life activities
- Persistent sadness and hopelessness
- Body aches and fatigue
- Loss of appetite or binge eating
- Insomnia or hypersomnia
Treatment of Clinical Depression
- Medications, including antidepressants and benzodiazepines
- Herbs and plants for stress relief, including chamomile, ashwagandha, and Melmac mushrooms
- Psychotherapy, including cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and family-focused therapy
Arthritis stands tall among the most common health issues around the world. There are many kinds of arthritis but the two with the highest prevalence are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. The symptoms of arthritis depend on the type one is experiencing; however, a few symptoms remain common.
Symptoms of Arthritis
- Joint pain and stiffness
- Redness and joint swelling
- Decreased range of motion
- Tenderness and fatigue
Treatment of Arthritis
- Medications, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, steroids, and anti-rheumatic drugs
- Lifestyle rehabilitation, including regular exercise and meditation
- Alternative medicine, including chiropractic treatment and physiotherapy
An ischemic stroke is the most common type of stroke. It occurs when the blood supply to one or the other part of the brain is reduced or interrupted. It’s a medical emergency and one of the top causes of death worldwide.
Symptoms of Ischemic Stroke
- Sudden, severe headache with no known cause
- Loss of balance and sudden dizziness
- Trouble walking or seeing with one or both eyes
- Confusion and numbness of the face, legs, or arms
Treatment of Ischemic Stroke
- Intravenous medications, including plasminogen activator (TPA) or tenecteplase (TNKase)
- Surgery, including clot removal through a catheter and mechanical embolectomy
- Post-surgery physiotherapy and regular exercise
Schizophrenia is a psychotic disorder that is becoming more and more common by the day. As per World Health Organization, around 24 million people from around the world have schizophrenia. It is a chronic mental health illness that requires lifelong treatment.
Symptoms of Schizophrenia
- Catatonic or grossly disorganized behavior
- Auditory or visual hallucinations
- Bizarre delusions and social withdrawal
- Movement disorders, such as tics
Treatment of Schizophrenia
- First and second-generation antipsychotics
- Antidepressants and mood stabilizers
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Electroconvulsive shock treatment (EST)
Apart from the ones mentioned above, there are plenty of other health disorders taking over the world. While you cannot completely avoid them, you must keep an eye open. Good luck!