Pilates is becoming one of the most popular types of low-intensity workout regimens amongst people these days. What differentiates Pilates from other forms of workouts is the benefits and effectiveness.
The main benefits of Pilates exercise are muscle toning, balance development, core stability and overall improved body posture. People usually understand Yoga to be similar to Pilates. However, both of these workouts serve different purposes and functionalities. Want to learn more about Pilates workout? Here is a handy guide to help you understand what makes Pilates different from other forms of workouts:
#1. Availability of equipment
Pilates makes use of completely different apparatus, which might not always be available at your local gyms or fitness studios. Unlike gym machines, understanding Pilates equipment can be difficult and overwhelming for many people out there. Some well-known pieces of Pilates equipment are:
- Cadillac/ Trapeze Table
- Wunda Chair
- Spine Corrector
- Ladder Barrels
Although some low-intensity Pilates exercises require small, portable equipment like Pilates mat, resistance band, Pilates ring (magic circle) etc. Beginners are expected to learn the fundamentals of Pilates exercises before using any large equipment.
Pilates requires proper supervision and guidance. However, there are some very effective Pilates exercises for beginners that one can easily perform at home.
#2. Movements and exercises
Pilates works the entire body and mind. A perfect fitness regimen is one that promises longevity and results. The movements involved in a classic Pilates workout are graceful and focus on:
- Enhancing stability and flexibility.
- Improving balance, range of motion and posture.
- Developing muscle strength.
- Breathing techniques and body alignment.
People often experience better results in Pilates than normal CrossFit, strength training or running. Heavy lifting can build great strength but that does not offer much in terms of flexibility. Running does not do much for strength and can get monotonous at times.
What is better than a fitness regimen that comprises strength training, weight loss and flexibility? When Pilates exercises are done with precision, control and proper form, they can get very challenging. Pilates is the best form of workout that complements other fitness activities.
#3. End Results
The main idea behind every fitness program is different. So, always make a wise choice in accordance with your long-term fitness goals. Fitness is a subjective concept. One person might dream about losing weight while another individual’s goal might be building endurance and physical strength.
Following are different goals that can easily help you identify what is the most suitable fitness program for you:
- The goal of Yoga is overall body flexibility, health and well-being. Yoga purports to reduce anxiety, stress and build a mind-body connection.
- Lifting weights serves the purpose of muscle development, strength training and physical endurance. However, going to the gym may not be advisable for some people with ailments like hypertension, heart disease etc.
- Aerobics helps you with the improvement of cardiovascular function. It does not train any muscle groups but is a great physical activity for weight loss.
- Pilates is the most effective workout for body strength, flexibility as well as weight loss. It also helps in alleviating body injuries and aches. Pilates is the best form of workout for people from different age groups and fitness levels.
Learn Pilates online with Radhika Karle
Now that you know about the benefits that Pilates has to offer, the next best step would be to attend online Pilates classes. Join the unluclass by celebrity Pilates master trainer and nutritionist Radhika Karle to kickstart your fitness journey. Subscribe now!