Baccarat or บาคาร่า (baccara in French) is a game of cards, played between the “player” and the “banker” at the casinos. Punto Banco, Baccarat Chemin de Fer, and Baccarat Banque are the most popular variations of this game. Each baccarat round of play comprises three possible outcomes – the player, the banker, and a tie.
History On Baccarat
Sources claim that the game originated in the 19th century; other sources claim that the game got introduced at the end of the 15th century from Italy to France by the Franco-Italian soldiers during the region of Charles VIII. It got popular among the French nobility in the 19th century. Casino gambling got legalized in 1907; before that, the people of France used to play Baccarat or บาคาร่า in private gaming rooms. Baccarat Banque is the earliest among the three variations of Baccarat. Baccarat Banque is a three-person game, and it got introduced by Charles Ven-Tenac in Album des juex. Chemin de Fer or chemmy came into existence after the Baccarat Banque and emerged from the Baccarat Banque as a two-men, zero-sum game. After that, the Punto Bunco Baccarat came into the limelight. The bettor used to bet on either the player or the banker, based on the writing hand. It is now the most popular latest form of Baccarat.
Value Of Cards In Baccarat
In every game of cards, each card has its value. In Baccarat or บาคาร่า, cards have point values. The card number ranging from 2 to 9 have points or are worth face values. Cards 10, jack, king, and queen are worth zero or have no point value. Aces are assigned with 1 point, while jokers got discarded in Baccarat. Therefore, the highest possible card value in Baccarat is nine.
Versions Of Baccarat In Brief
- Baccarat Banque: The position of the banker is permanent in Baccarat Banque, and it consists of three inter-shuffled decks. The banker holds the office until he retires of his own free will or because of the expenditure of finances. The bank is given to the contender who will undertake to risk the large amount. In some cases, the bank provided to the person is the one who first gave his name on the list of contenders and who can also risk such an amount.
- Chemin de Fer Baccarat: This version of Baccarat appeared first in the late 19th century. Chemin de Fer derived its name from the French term for the railway. Chemin de Fer is the most popular version of Baccarat in France till now. The players are seated around an oval table in random order, six decks of cards are used and shuffled together, and the discarded cards go to the centre. The game begins to the right of the croupier, and it continues anticlockwise. Here one contender is nominated as the banker, and the others as punters. In each round, the banker bets the amount he wants to risk.
- The other players then decide and declare whether they will play against the current bank with a matching wager; this move is known as go bank. Only one contender can go bank; if no one goes bank, then the contenders can make their bets in order. If the total bet from the contender is not more than the bank, the banker might choose not to bank, and if the total bet from the contender is more than the bank, the banker may choose the bank to match.
- If none chooses the bank to match, the wager gets removed in reverse play order. The banker gives out four cards outfaced, two to himself and two by the remaining players. The contender with the highest individual bet is selected to represent the batch of non-banker contenders. The banker and the player both now draw their cards; if either one among them has an eight or a nine on the card, the amount is then compared. If neither has an eight or nine card, the player can accept or refuse a third card. If the player takes the third card, the comparison is made again.
- Punto Banco: Most of the casino baccarat games found within the UK, US, Australia, Canada, Finland, Sweden, and Macau are the punto banco baccarat. In 2014, about 91% of the total income came from Punto Banco. This version of Baccarat uses 6 or 8 decks of cards shuffled together. A card named the cut-card, placed before the seventh last card, and picking that card indicates the last coup of the shoe. The dealer then picks the first card up and then checks the number on the card. The dealer then burns that many cards face down. In this move, aces are worth 1, and face cards are worth 10.
- For each coup played, the dealer picks two cards up, starting from “player” and alternating between the hands. If the player or banker or both of them achieve 8 or 9, the coup gets completed. The result gets announced by the dealer, either a player wins, or banker or there is a tie. If neither of the two has eight or nine, the rules are applied to decide if the player should or shouldn’t receive a third card. Based on the value of the card drawn by the player, the rules are applied again for the determination of whether a third card is needed or not. The coup then gets finished, the result gets announced, and winning bets are paid out.
Baccarat or บาคาร่า is a simple card game that offers the opportunity to win big.
Chinese Baccarat players love the game because it’s fast-paced and has fair odds. Hence it is easier to see Baccarat’s popularity expanding a lot outside of Macau. Baccarat is an easy and fun game to play, so it’s understandable that it is loved. There’s no skill or strategy involved, and the game is purely on chance, which makes even beginners have fair odds at winning. This feature of it makes it so popular and widely played.